Saturday 20 July 2013

So apparently this is a "thing" now..


Dear Japan,

Thank you for all the wonderful things that you have brought me and the World. Here's a quick run-down of things off the top of my head. The Walkman; the Game Boy; Godzilla; Sushi; Doraemon; Playstation; amazing vending machines that offer an interesting array of items; toilets which clean everything for you and of course the invention of True Blood which help to keep the vampires at bay as portrayed by the reality TV show of the same name.

But occasionally certain things pop up that I don't quite understand. Maybe it's a sign of early onset old fogey syndrome. I may be a youthful 25 but in my mind I'm just old-fashioned and stuck-in-the mud.

What's currently baffling me is the trend of eye licking (or Oculolinctus as the quacks like to call it) which has sprouted in Japan. Of course this isn't the first cultural trend from Japan to confound me. First it was the short lived “Ganguro”; girls who took tanning to a whole new extreme and were addicted to hair bleach. Then there were the “bagel heads” but which I now have to disqualify because it was neither a trend or Japanese in origin (blame Canada apparently).

Luckily for me (and this post) Oculolinctus is Japanese in origin (fingers crossed). Apparently it's supposed to be a sign of affection between couples. What happened to flowers or breakfast in bed? What happened to kissing like the French?

Of course I don't mean to single out the Great nation of Japan or its people as the cause of my confusion. There are many things in this world that continue to confuse me, the harlem shake; teletubbies; string theory; shakespeare; cricket and why no one in my family eats the first and last slice of bread. I'm going off topic. Back to eye licking.

Allegedly eye licking became popular after it was featured in a music video. Here's some advice from a somewhat intelligent person “Guess what kids, just because something appears in a music video. It doesn't mean you should do it as well. If your friend jumped off a bridge would you follow him?”. Gawd I sound like my parents.

And it is good advice, however clichéd it may be. Having someone drag their tongue over the surface of your eye may feel great but there are some serious heatlh risks. Here's a list:

  • Chlamydia (WTF?!)
  • Conjunctivitis
  • Corneal abrasion
  • Corneal Ulsers
  • Blindness
If that list doesn't deter you then have at it. Just remember that Chlamydia Conjunctivitis ain't sexy.

P.S. Last week I wrote on my blog and Tumblr about how watching Kaelyn & Lucy’s youtube channel had affected me. I wasn’t expecting any “likes" so when I checked my Tumblr and found a “like" as well as a reply to my post from Kaelyn and Lucy it came as a bit of a surprise. Needless to say this had made my day : )


Link to last weeks post "A story about love"
Kaelyn and Lucy Youtube page



1 comment:

  1. Is this for real? How grim!
    and I don't.know.many ppl that DO eat the end bits of a loaf of bread tbh...I dont!

    ReplyDelete